Starting from 1998 and based on the results of experimental works the reserve fulfills the following scope of off-budget activities:
- wood procurement, processing, joinery, wood constructions manufacturing and sales of the products;
- horse and cattle breeding and sales;
- bee-farming and sales of hive products;
- crop production and sales;
- other charged services (radioactive contamination monitoring, decontamination, transportation services).
While developing the strategic objectives for off-budget activity and their efficiency in Polesye State Radiation-Ecological Reserve the following factors are considered:
- ‘reserve’ status of the territory and restricted economic activity, reflected on the Schematic map of structural and functional zoning of Polesye State Radiation-Ecological Reserve territory, developed by the Institute of Experimental Botany of NAS of Belarus;
- restricted possibilities for utilization of natural resources, determined by high radionuclide contamination levels;
- experimental nature of the works fulfilled on the territory of experimental-economic zone in compliance with the Law “On legal status of the territories exposed to radioactive contamination as a result of the Chernobyl NPP accident”.
The output of production and off-budget production sales in the conditions of Polesye State Radiation-Ecological Reserve are managed considering radioactive contamination monitoring performed by the Laboratory of Spectrometry and Radiochemistry. The production for sale meets the established radioactive contamination normative standard.
Major product types of wood procurement and processing are:
- industrial / merchantable wood;
- fuel wood;
- regularized round wood;
- cutoff carving wood;
- uncut carving wood;
- make-to-order joinery.
Since 2004 a horse-breeding farm of 250 heads has operated on the reserve territory. By Order of the Committee on Agriculture and Food №15 dated 30.01.2006 the horse-breeding farm is approved pedigree in the Russian cart-horse farming and young breeder sales.
In the conditions of radioactive contamination the most effective livestock trend from radiological viewpoint is production and sales of young stock for further breeding.